7/18/11

We Talk: With Jon St. John (Duke Nukem)

Joes got an interview with a video game legend, Jon St John, the Voice Actor for Duke Nukem, one of the best and greatest Voice Actors of all time, and he is one of the greatest guys he has ever interviewed, Jon was really nice, so nice that he answer all of our questions even the awkward ones, he even made us a little something we will show you at the end of the interview!, so be sure to read it to the end to find out how Jon started in the Voice Acting industry and how he became Duke Nukem.

•How long have you been working as a voice actor? 
Including my radio career (which started it all for me) it has been
well over 30 years. I started voice acting for video games in 1995.


•Where did you start? And how? I started while working at a classic rock radio station in San Diego when I was fortunate enough to meet Lani Minella, one of the top video games casting directors. She recognized my vocal abilities and asked if I would be interested in video game work and I jumped at the opportunity.

•Who was your first game character you gave voice to? I wish I could tell you what the very first character was, but I really do not recall. AMONG the first few was Duke Nukem...so I like to say Duke was the first.

•How was for you to give voice to one of the most loved, known and awesome characters ever, Duke Nukem? It was the best! Other voice actors that I appear with at conventions have often said that's the one character they wish they could have been. I'm honored to be the voice of the world's most famous FPS character...Duke is such a bad-ass!

•And what about your work in Sonic, was it easier? Why? Easier....yes. Why? Because my characters - Big the Cat and the Omerga robots had very few lines. Short recording sessions and not really "acting" as much as reading the lines.

•Who is your favorite character you have given voice to? Why? The sweet tooth spokesperson on Twisted Metal 4. When I played the game, I did not even recognize my voice as the narrator. It's a crazy, maniacal, over-the-top character that gave me the creeps the first time I heard it played back in the game. I channeled some crazy shit in that performance!

•In Wikipedia appears that you sing, tell us about it! :) Sure...I am one of the lead singers in a Southern California cover band called Uncle Boogie.  I have always enjoyed singing and performing (showing off) in front of an audience, and being a member of Uncle Boogie allows me to do just that. We play mostly corporate events and weddings...those are the best gigs!

•Have you’re worked in movies? No I have not YES I WANT TO!!! I hope that someday soon somebody in Hollywood recognizes what a great character Duke Nukem would be for the big screen. An "R" rated CG movie starring Duke would be awesome...don't you think?

•Are you a gamer? Sorry if this disappoints anybody...but no.  I'm a voice actor and spend most of my time either voice acting, auditioning, writing and producing commercials, and raising kids. Not much time left over for gaming.  But when I do play, I enjoy driving games like the Need for Speed series. And I like flight simulator programs. DNF of course is a blast to play, so I play whenever I have some spare time. (It's like playing with myself.)
Jon with some Duke girls
•Can you tell something about your work in the upcoming games Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time and Dota 2? Dudebro was fun to do...a very rednecky delivery of a whoop-ass, good-old-boy character. He's a bad-ass in his own way.  I can't tell you anything about Dota2, I've already managed to piss-off the folks at Valve by Tweeting about it after I recorded the game, and I believe I am on their shit list now. I probably will not be invited to record for them in the future. My bad.

•I have heard your Sponge Bob Square Pants ads =) have you worked in more cartoons or TV shows? I have done some sound design work for Nickelodeon, and I'm the announcer on Spongebob's "Life Lessons from Bikini Bottom", but that's all. Animation is a very tough nut to crack in the VO business, and getting a foot in the door has proven to be very difficult.

•Do you think Duke Nukem Forever was underrated? (We do) I think that DNF was unfairly compared to other FPS games by reviewers that obviously did not play earlier Duke games. It was not meant to be another Call of Duty, it was not meant to be "realistic". Duke is a fantasy game that was intended to be funny, edgy, sexy, and bloody. Some folks just didn't understand.

•Besides Duke tell us about other game character you have gave voice to, for more than 3 years (if you had) For more than 3 years? I can't name one. Duke is the only repeat character that's been awesome enough to keep coming back time and time again. I would like to think that I'll someday land another part as cool as Duke, but who knows?

•Can we expect to see more Duke in the future? I'm certain that the King will return...the people at Gearbox Software and 2K games know what a great franchise the Duke series is, and what a great character Duke is...why would they ever let him fade away?

Besides being the king (Duke Nukem) you are also the king of the radio, how long have you been working on the radio?
Well I don't currently work on air, but I started in 1975 when I was 14, and loved my radio career for over 30 years. I can definitely see a return to broadcasting someday, if the right job comes along. I have radio in my blood, and my love for "playing radio" will never die.

•Do you feel identified with Duke? Fans do see me as the voice of Duke as if nothing else matters...so yes, I guess I am 'forever' linked to Duke and identify with his character.

•When you are on the street do people recognize your voice? Only if I speak in Duke's voice.  I am often recognized by people as "that radio guy" or "that guy from that commercial", but never as Duke.

•Do you think people don’t give the attention they should to voice actors? (We do) I think that Hollywood actors have taken the glory away from voice actors. They are getting the high paying, high profile jobs that voice actors used to get, and that's sure not helping. The voice acting in games, animation, and films are what truly breathe the life into the characters...we should be more recognized for our contributions 
to these projects.

Here is the little something he made for us! 

We are really proud thanks to this, thanks Jon! 
Joes almost passed out when he got the interview so please guys tweet it, like it, comment it and everything else that has an it on it less hate it. 
*WE WANT TO THANK JON ST JOHN FOR THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY HE GAVE TO US 
AND IF YOU READ THIS YOU ARE AWESOME!*

No comments:

Post a Comment